I have seen a lot of music videos in my life. Some are good, some are….well, they try, but no matter how good a music video is, it will never beat a live performance. The video for Do What U Want by Lady Gaga and R Kelly is a well done video. By playing through Gaga’s old videos it shows how she let people use her body to sell her music. It pushes the point of the song: you can do whatever you need with my body, but I’ll stay true to myself and what I believe for my music. This is all amazing the visuals enhancing the audio so that they can come together and be one stronger entity rather than two weaker ones side by side, and it’s so well done, (and I’m not just saying that because I love Gaga) but no matter how fantastic it is, it will never compare to live music. I’ve seen lots of live music in my time. Rock concerts, metal concerts, acoustic concerts, country concerts, symphonies, bands, orchestras, if you name it, there’s a good chance I’ve seen it in some way. There’s just something wonderful about live music that a video can’t capture. I’ve thought about what it may be for a long time, and I truly think it’s the energy from the players. You can’t bottle someone’s passion for their art, nor can you perfectly capture it in a photo or video. Image result for austin carlile second and sebringThere’s something special when you see the singer of a band clutch their chest, voice wavering because of how much it all means and a lot of people don’t understand Image result for lindsey stirling performance gifthat classical music can have the same effect. Sure, these performers didn’t write this music, but that doesn’t mean they don’t feel it. Soloists often show the most emotion in a piece. The violin soloist at the concert was so in tune (no pun intended) with the piece. You could really tell his whole heart was in it. And while you could see that in a video, it’s not the same as when you’re there to experience it with the performer. If you’re there, you share in that wonder and magic with the performers and you live the story of the music right along side them in this amazing, unexplainable way. No matter how well a music video is made, no matter how perfectly the visual demonstrates the audio, it will never give you that same magic as living the music with the performers live.

-Anna Artinger

Comments

2 Comments so far

1.    Michel Kazi on September 26, 2016 11:47 pm

Although my opinion is a bit different from yours, I really like how you explained the way emotions can felt from a live orchestration. You also have a concise argument.

2.    Eugenia Theodosopoulos on September 27, 2016 5:14 am

Nothing compares to live. Ever. Your mother raised you right.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

• Author Add

If you want to add yourself to this blog, please log in.