The music videos that are used for the performances of Lady Gaga and Beyonce are like fast food. Its easy to acquire and easy to digest. On the other hand an Orchestra is like a high class dish at a five star restaurant. You don’t always go to it but when you do, you appreciate it. You go to these outlets for music but the way you experience them are completely different.

Music videos are easy to access and they’re short and to the point. They conform to the needs of the average people who want something to listen to on a long train ride or on an evening before you go to sleep. Some people go to music videos for the appearances of the performers. That’s their purpose for the most part. Music videos are used to give meaning to the music that the artist is trying to convey.

The orchestra performance was something more extravagant than a music video. I’ve never been to an orchestra performance but it was better than I expected. Like I said before the orchestra is like a high class dish. It doesn’t distract you with any dancing or visuals with bright lights or changing backgrounds. ┬áThe music makes the entire experience. When you go to an orchestra performance you’re there as they present the music they’ve all practiced. You can hear their efforts right there in the moment, not something highly edited but more organic.

The visuals from music videos seems to hinder the musical experience. The orchestra gave me a better musical experience due to the fact that I could imagine and feel what I wanted to feel, not what a music video shows. It’s the same case with words in music. The words are there to express what message an artist wants to get across but with just the sounds of the instruments, you get to interpret your own message from the musical piece.

Comments

2 Comments so far

1.    Asim Shariff on September 24, 2016 8:26 pm

I like the way that you compared the different types of music to different types of food.I agree with many of your arguments. This was my first time attending an orchestra performance and I noticed that it didn’t require anything extra to make it an outstanding performance. I agree with you that artist are able to send a message through their music and that orchestra music allows the listeners to interpret the meaning of the music for themselves.

2.    xianruichen on September 25, 2016 2:06 pm

I like your point that sound of music is interpeting by ourself. I like the orchestra performance too, just like what you say, it gives me a better experiences by feeling the music. Also, I like the word distract you used when you talking about the orchestra performance. I totally agree with that point becuase something the music videoes will distract our views from music to videoes and that is not a good thing to see. Music videoes should support the music in order give listener more emotional sences of feeling, not taking over the music.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

• Author Add

If you want to add yourself to this blog, please log in.