Horror films are extremely popular, but what keeps viewers interested. In the expect from Clover’s Men, Women, and Chainsaws “her body, himself” even states that the plots of these horror series such The Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the Thirteenth don’t change. Still these movies have reach multiple parts and still are highly successful. I feel that in these horror films the plots don’t need to change but the way in which the incorporate suspense does. A way in which allows these movies to obtain this is by setting up scenes with specific camera angels, lighting, and settings. Although in The Nightmare on Elm Street the death scene of Tina may have been cheesy looking especially because the blood looked extremely fake, we have to consider that it is an old movie. This is a key example of how camera angels play an effect. During this scene Tina’s friend Ron was also in the room with her while Freddy attacks her. The camera zooms onto Tina’s stomach in which three slashes appear on her stomach as she starts to bleed out. Immediately after the camera goes to Ron who is shocked, and then goes to an over Ron’s shoulder view as he witnesses Tina start getting thrown around in the air and ultimately dying. When watching this scene unfold it look corny, but at the time it must have created a panic feeling for the audience. Scenes such as this one in The Nightmare on Elm Street allow for horror movies not to worry about having a reparative plot, but to focus on new ways to create the sensation of fear.-Michael Vitelli

Comments

6 Comments so far

1.    Nicholas Osorio on October 19, 2016 1:00 am

When I was watching the movie, nothing really scared me per say. The main features of the movie that got me to react were the elements of surprise. I will completely agree with you on the camera angle being important because those moments where the camera angle set up the scene, were the only moments where I was taken off guard. For example, when Nancy first slept in her room with Glenn watching over her, she walked outside to a camera angle that showed her in the center of nothing but darkness. This is a great scene to note because the darkness that surrounds her (even with the little bit of light coming from the lamppost) creates suspense, due to her not knowing what could jump out of the dark at any moment. Overall, the camera work is probably the most important element in horror films.

2.    Jonathan Eng on October 19, 2016 1:23 am

I completely agree when you stated that the horror movies are all the same plot. It has become harder and harder for jump scares because the movies do the same things over and over. Its either someone jumping out of nowhere, a loud noise, or a constant building of suspense. The viewers will know when something is going to happen, it all depends on how different the movie is able to implement the horror. Based on current day expectations, the death scene for Tina was more comical than scary because of the effects used. However, because of the camera focusing on the damage done rather than trying to scare us, the movie made viewers think about how painful and gruesome this scene is. This leaves you just as mentally scarred as a good jump scare. In the end, the same feeling is achieved, but in a unique way, keeping viewers on the edge of their seats and trying not to spit out their popcorn.

3.    Asim Shariff on October 19, 2016 1:32 am

I agree with you that many horror and slasher films have similar plots and scenes. The use of various camera angles help create a horror type of mood. Many horror films use this technique in their films. Also the article describes how many horror films focus on the female characters. This is true, since many of these types of films has a final girl that fights back against the killer or tries to run away. The nightmare on elm street is an example of this, since it shows Nancy fighting Freddy in the end.

4.    xianruichen on October 19, 2016 3:21 am

I like your ideas with the camera angles, lighting and setting will have huge impacts on movie itself. I notice that everytime when the slasher ready to be appear, the di-di-da-da music will hit the audiences first, then using the faster temples in order to show the feeling of tensionness when it comes to the part that slasher chasing after characters. Background music also help to make the horror movie more scary and
    interesting.

5.    Naomi Bracho on October 19, 2016 3:31 am

In reference to the excerpt, most of these movies come from the idea of Psycho. I agree with what you stated that essentially all of these films are similar in their plots, characters, etc and the only difference includes the portrayal of them revolving setting, angles, and props. Additionally, there is a repetition in the roles of characters and the importance of the female vs the male characters.

6.    Hallie Peller on October 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Because this was my first horror movie ever, I consider myself part of that audience that was really scared while watching the scene where Tina. I agree with the fact that this movie was poorly made; the acting also threw me off. Nancy’s cry looked like a laugh and she ran like she was skipping. I can’t compare this movie to other horror films because this is the only one I’ve seen, but from the articles, I can tell that each movie has similar plot, characters and concepts

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

• Author Add

If you want to add yourself to this blog, please log in.