I’m writing my essay about the importance of tradition and custom in Native American culture, specifically in Part Time Indian. I had an easy time pulling together examples from the book that show the importance of tradition and custom and the way Arnold views tradition and the importance of the reservation. However, Im having a difficult time with gathering together scholarly sources. Maybe this is not a very popular topic to discuss, so I still have a lot of work to do in that area. Something cool I decided to use in my essay was the current protest going on in North Dakota with the Sioux Standing Rock tribe. They’re protesting this pipeline that’s going to┬ábe placed in the Missouri River, but they’re against it because there is always a chance it could leak and ruin their main water source. These Indians are fighting for their ancestral territory and home and feel a connection towards it, just like Arnold describes his family staying in the same place and not moving over the years because it’s an importance tradition in his tribe. The examples I chose from the book clearly describe Arnold’s love for the reservation, while expressing his need to explore the outside world and escape the bad parts of the reservation, like the drunk people and constant funerals. I’m arguing that Arnold did not leave his tradition behind when he left the reservation, rather he took it with him to Rearden, which only strengthened his ties to the reservation and his tribe. However, I still have so much work to do…

Comments

2 Comments so far

1.    Asim Shariff on November 6, 2016 8:48 pm

I believe that you can make a strong argument based on the topic that you chose. To help with your scholarly source, you can chose an article that may have something in common with your essay and only use a small part of it to support your argument. I like that you are using modern examples to support your argument.

2.    Naomi Bracho on November 7, 2016 12:48 pm

I like the argument you’re building I think it’s strong and there’s more than enough evidence to prove it and making sure you really annotate all of your articles will help you pull out strong ideas to build your argument.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

• Author Add

If you want to add yourself to this blog, please log in.